Wednesday, August 14, 2013

"The Good Short Life"


"The Good Short Life" was written by the journalist and author, Dudley Clendinen. Clendinen wrote for the New York Times and was also an editor for The Baltimore Sun. His essay is about his 18-month struggle with a terminal disease called ALS, or as Clendinen liked to call it, Lou. His essay is most likely targeted for people dealing with the death of or dying loved ones.


I found this short story intriguing because of the way he approached the topic of his death. Rather than ignoring his impending death, Clendinen decides to relish it by chronicling his last months on public radio and doing activities he enjoys with friends and family. He definitely came to terms with his fate, stating, “I’m having a wonderful time.” 

The way people deal with death is one of the most important topics Clendinen addresses in the essay. His purpose was to tell his own story to help make it easier for people to talk about death and dying. His main message to the readers is that people must accept the death of loved ones and also respect the wishes of those who would rather end their own life than let the disease kill them. He talks about how in our country, “we obsess about what to eat and dress and drink and live. But we don’t talk about how to die” (65). Clendinen sees Lou as “a weird blessing because there is no escape” (64). In fact, he is prepared. Clendinen says that he will pick the time and place of his death. He states that he would rather commit suicide than allow others to waste a huge amount of love and money caring for somebody who is no longer there. 

At first, after finishing the story I wasn’t sure whether I thought Clendinen’s choice to commit suicide was selfish or reasonable. However, after thinking about it and putting myself in his shoes, I’ve come to the conclusion that I agree with his decision. I wouldn’t want my family wasting money on me just so I could live a few more months as a vegetable either.

I think Clendinen succeeded in accomplishing his purpose of opening people’s eyes to how they viewed death through his essay. It was definitely advantageous that he was the protagonist because it made it more personal for the reader. In addition, he used many rhetorical devices such as logos, pathos and ethos in his writing. He appealed to the audience by stating stats about the costs of treatment and care, describing his daily struggles with ALS and most importantly challenging the majority’s view about dying. Clendinen’s metaphors and irony also drew me to his story. His humor and light-heartedness contrasts with the gloominess that usually surrounds the topic of death. For example, when talking about his wish to commit suicide Clendinen writes, “I just have to act while my hands still work: the gun, narcotics, sharp blades, a plastic bag, fast car over-the-counter drugs, oleander tea (the polite southern way), even helium. That would give me a really funny voice at the end” (66). Some may not agree with Clendinen’s way to end his life, however, the essay has definitely taught the readers that although death is inevitable, they are in charge of their own lives and should live it to the fullest.


"Moving on"
"When the music stops-when I can't tie my bow tie, tell a funny story, walk my dog, talk with Whitney, kiss someone special, or tap out lines like this- I'll know that Life is over" (66).
 http://indianapublicmedia.org
Don Glass

No comments:

Post a Comment