Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tow #27 TOW Reflection

In the beginning of the year I'll admit that I didn't find the weekly TOWs very beneficial to me. However, I've come to realize that doing TOW posts throughout the year has been really valuable to me in the long run. I can see improvement in not only my analytical skills but the arrangement and composition of my writing as a whole.

 In the beginning of the year I feel like I was more summarizing the author's purpose rather than analyzing how the author presented his/her purpose or the effectiveness of the rhetorical devices on the readers. In addition, as the year progressed, it gradually became easier for me to pinpoint the author's purpose and the rhetorical devices/strategies used to achieve the purpose as well as integrate better transitions throughout my writing. The articles that I chose to write about also changed from being from a narrow area to broader spectrum. This ultimately helped me a lot because by the end of the year, during in-class timed essays and the mock, I was able to recall multiple specific examples to use for the prompts. The practice I got from quickly skimming the articles I chose every week also benefitted me during the actual AP test. I was able to save a lot of time by efficiently skimming through each of the passages to catch the main purposes.

One thing that I could probably still work on is writing about the most effective rhetorical strategies. Sometimes I still find myself picking the easiest or the most obvious devices used in the writing but I know that the ones I see first in the article may not necessarily prove the author's purpose the best.

Overall, the TOWs were a great source of practice for me to hone my analytical skills and prepare for the in-class essays and AP exam. 


No comments:

Post a Comment